The Graduate Certificate in Digital Media is designed for working professionals seeking to expand and enhance their knowledge and skills in content creation, curation, branding communication and media strategies. The certificate program exposes students to the state of the art technology, application and communication theories.
Digital communications in all of its forms demands to be integrated strategically in advertising, public relations and media. With a master's degree in Strategic Communication from MSU, graduates should be prepared to:
- Become a leader in driving the technology behind marketing
- Develop a digital marketing strategy
- Apply the latest digital innovations such as mobile, social media, location-based services and big data to marketing campaigns
- Integrate marketing, advertising, sales and logistics across physical and digital channels
- Collect, analyze and interpret digital marketing data to inform decision-making
Themes grafted in each of the courses will include:
- Understanding the marketplace and economics of the digital world
- Encouraging an entrepreneurial approach to thinking about new communication technologies
- Thinking about effective information techniques and flows for corporations
- Enhanced understanding of cultural and national differences as they play out in the global corporate communication sector
- Rethinking current embedded corporate practice in light of new digital possibilities
- Embrace the types of knowledge available through academic scholarship
According to 2019 LinkedIn and Forbes reports, some of the most desired skills of employees are:
- Analytical reasoning
- Social media marketing
- Digital marketing
- Corporate Communications
The MSU StratCom program helps meet these marketplace demands with courses in areas of organizational leadership and communication, media analytics and digital media. You can pursue a graduate certificate in one of these areas or a full M.A.
Admissions and Requirements
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
A bachelor's degree
Previous work experience
A written personal statement
Academic Statement [one-page narrative of your academic journey] Personal Statement [one-page narrative or your personal journey. i.e. family, growing up, hobbies, etc.]
3 letters of recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required. Provide email addresses for your three recommenders (Note: An email will be sent out to your recommenders providing them the information on where to go to submit their letters electronically. So please be sure to list accurate information. The department will only accept letters submitted via the online system. The department will not accept letters submitted through any other format.)
Official transcripts from all previous schools
To apply to this program:
Complete the university graduate application (program code: 6357)
Rolling applications. Students can start the program in any semester. We recommend applications are submitted at least one month prior to the start of the semester to allow time for processing.
In State Tuition
Out of State Tuition
The university reserves the right to make changes in the types, structures, rates for fees, and tuition. Every effort will be made to give as much advance notice as possible.
THE MSU DIFFERENCE
As one of the top research universities in the world, Michigan State University has advanced the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years.
MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community.