Due to emerging health concerns related to the novel coronavirus, MSU has implemented a number of changes. Please follow https://msu.edu/together-we-will/ for updates.
How to apply to MSU online programs
We are excited that you are looking to advance your career with a Michigan State University online graduate degree and certificate program! We’ve provided some information below and we are happy to help get you started at MSU Online.
Prepare and submit your official documents
Students will need to identify the appropriate materials for their program of interest, as some programs have varied and/or specific requirements. Applicants should request information from the department or program of interest to find detailed program requirements, deadline dates, and admission procedures. Each application requires payment of the application fee.
|Application Type||Application Fee|
When completing your application, you will need to identify the following information:
- Complete and submit the MSU graduate application.
- Request official transcripts from all previous institutions attended to be sent to your MSU program. (electronically or via postal mail)
- Request official standardized test scores for GRE and TOEFL. (may be required for some applicants)
- Program requirements may include: 3 letters of recommendation, a personal statement, Résumé or Curriculum Vitae.
After you submit or have submitted your application (along with the application fee, $65 domestic and $75 international), you will receive an email directing you to MSU's Your Account Application Portal (https://admissions.msu.edu/your-account/).
Through the portal you will be able to:
- Upload Professional letter of intent
- Upload résumé or curriculum vitae
- Request letters of recommendation (3 professional)
- Check status of application
- Submit official, original transcripts
- If you completed your undergraduate degree at MSU, you do not need to submit official MSU transcripts.
- Transcripts from other institutions need to be submitted through an official e-scripting service or be mailed directly to the graduate program.
What happens after I submit my application?
- Completed application packets are submitted to the program's Admissions Committee for review.
- Depending on the program, students will receive a letter of the committee's decision about 4 weeks after application deadline. A letter of admissions recommendation by the program is sent by email and US mail.
- Credentials will be forwarded to the MSU Office of Admissions for final review and approval following program committee review.
- Accepted students will receive an official letter of admission from the MSU Office of Admissions approximately one month after the program’s notification of recommended acceptance. This letter will contain your MSU Personal Identification Number (PID) and Personal Access Number (PAN). With these, you will set up your MSU NetID and password, allowing you access to enrollment.
- MSU Email account: This account is used for all correspondence pertaining to University business and the online master’s programs. To log in to your account, please go to: https://mail.msu.edu/.
- Stuinfo: Stuinfo.msu.edu - Once you have established your MSU NetID, you can then begin using the system to enroll in classes, view your course schedule, pay your bill, confirm your attendance, change your address, and view your account details.
- Schedule Builder: For information on enrollment instructions, please go to: https://schedule.msu.edu/instructions.aspx. Using this link, you can search for courses, add courses to your schedule builder, and enroll directly from the schedule builder http://schedule.msu.edu/. You must know your MSU NetID to use this feature.
- Billing: Please note that Michigan State University does not mail billing statements to students. Instead you will be notified via email that this information is available in StuInfo. A link to the Billing and Fee Schedule can be found under the Financial tab at the top of your StuInfo portal. Please visit https://finaid.msu.edu/bills.asp for complete instructions on tuition payments. Once a bill has posted you can view and pay your tuition here: https://stuinfo.msu.edu/. Approximately 24 to 48 hours after your MSU tuition bill has been paid, return to StuInfo to confirm your attendance. This must be done every semester.
- Semester deadlines: To view all semester deadlines, including course start and end dates, enrollment deadlines, tuition bill availability, graduation application deadlines, etc., access the MSU Academic Calendar from StuInfo, the MSU Home Page https://msu.edu/, or visit https://reg.msu.edu/ROInfo/Calendar/academic.aspx and choose the appropriate academic year and semester.
- Textbooks and required course materials: If your course requires textbooks, course packs, or other materials, you may view and/or purchase them online through Michigan State University Bookstore at https://www.bkstr.com/spartanbookstore/shop/textbooks-and-course-materials. If you choose to buy from a different vendor, be sure to verify the correct edition and ISBN.