Skip navigation links

Military and Veteran Student Information

General Information for Veterans

  • MSU has assembled a web page for student who are Veterans, Reservists, or have other Military affiliation. See the MSU Student Veterans Information page.
  • U.S. Military Veterans may be eligible for various benefits through the GI Bill®. See the Department of Veterans Affairs website for more information.
  • For more information about Veterans' benefits at MSU and to apply for certification, contact the MSU's Veterans' Certification Office.
  • For services including educational/vocational counseling for Veterans and eligible dependents, contact the Ingham County Veterans Affairs Office, 5303 S. Cedar, Lansing, 887-4331.
  • All Veterans are required to submit their Military transcript for review at the time of admission. Complete the Joint Services Request Form to have your transcript sent to Michigan State University.

MSU Policies in Place for Veterans

  • MSU will readmit a service member who must suspend attendance for a short period of time.
  • MSU has a refund policy in place for students who withdraw prior to completing all courses.
  • MSU recognizes and adheres to the Principles of Excellence established by the federal government regarding student veterans.

MSU Disabled Veteran's Assistance Program

New and returning undergraduate Veterans with a Military-related disability who are Michigan residents and working on their first baccalaureate degree will qualify for an aid package that covers full costs without loans. The student must document his or her status as a disabled Veteran with MSU. The student will be awarded a combination of federal, state, and MSU gift funds, combined with Veteran's educational benefits and Michigan Rehabilitation Services benefits (if eligible), along with a work component. If the student cannot work due to the disability, the work component will be omitted in favor of additional grant funding.

Expenses covered - tuition and fees, room and board, books, health insurance, and personal and miscellaneous costs of attendance. The cost of supporting a spouse or dependents is not covered with these funds, although federal and/or private student loans may be available on a case-by-case basis.

Students must apply for federal aid by submitting the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Students are also expected to apply for Veteran's Educational Benefits if eligible. For more information, see the MSU Veterans' Certification Office website.

For more information on this program, see the document Quick Facts about Disabled Veteran's Assistance.

Yellow Ribbon Program (for students using the Post 9/11 GI Bill®)

Michigan State University participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The Post 9/11 GI Bill® will cover instate tuition and fees for students fully eligible for benefits. Out-of-state students who qualify for the Yellow Ribbon program will have the out-of-state portion of tuition and fees funded by the VA and Michigan State University.

MSU's portion of the Yellow Ribbon program will be awarded by the Office of Financial Aid after the Post 9/11 eligibility has been determined by the MSU Veteran's Certification Office and the Student Accounts Office.

Other Scholarships for Veterans

VFW Post 5855 Scholarship for Combat Veterans
Michigan Veterans Trust Fund

To learn more about resources for Military & Veteran students, click here

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.