Educators who work in a broad range of careers come to the fully online Master of Arts in Education to improve their professional practice. Whether you are a teacher, adult educator, coach or administrator, this program is created to draw on your previous experience and help you gain advanced knowledge while interacting with a dynamic community of fellow students. You will have opportunities to study teaching, learning and leadership in preschool through secondary, as well as postsecondary education, levels. The program has the following six areas of concentration:
- Literacy Education
- P-12 School and Postsecondary Leadership
- Science and Mathematics Education
- Special Education
- Sport Coaching and Leadership
- Technology and Learning
#1 in Elementary & Secondary Ed. in U.S. News & World Report for 2020
Since it began as one of the nation's first online degree programs in 2001, the MAED now has more than 1,000 graduates and is ranked 4th in the nation for best online master's programs in education according to U.S. News & World Report.
With six possible concentration areas, the outcomes of the Master of Arts in Education will vary depending on the specific courses you take. Generally, all students who complete the program will be better able to:
- Construct more effective documents and presentations
- Achieve improved outcomes in their work
- Conduct inquiry, evaluation or research
- Evaluate the legitimacy and quality of research and policy in their field
- Design, manage, and support group projects and processes
- Apply new technologies
- Access digital environments for ideas, information and resources
- Use digital tools for communication, collaboration, and presentation
- Learn through digital information delivery and interactions (i.e. wikis, podcasts, webinars, and other formats)
- Exercise leadership
- Advance to new levels of professional practice and responsibility
- Professionally develop
- Introduce new ideas, programs, or practices into their workplace
As the Master of Arts in Education (MAED) qualifies as a planned program of study, most certified teachers in the program use it toward renewal and advancing to professional certification and the increased salary. Many people complete the MAED to become instructors at community colleges, educational consultants, principals, education coordinators, corporate trainers, athletic directors, etc.
This program is not designed to provide State of Michigan endorsement nor initial teacher certification. For more information about certification and endorsement in Michigan, please visit the Certification section on the Master of Arts in Education website.
Admissions and Requirements
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
A bachelor's degree
Or its equivalent from an accredited institution with a minimum 3.0 overall grade point average.
3.0 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale
Previous work experience
3 letters of recommendation
Official transcripts from all previous schools
To apply to this program:
Complete a university graduate application (Program code: 2294)
Fall Semester Admission - June 1
June 1, 2021
Spring Semester Admission - October 1
October 1, 2020
Summer Semester Admission - March 1
March 1, 2021
THE MSU DIFFERENCE
As one of the top research universities in the world, Michigan State University has advanced the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years.
MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community.