The Master of Science in Marketing Research program equips graduates for success in a strategic, research-driven industry that is expanding and evolving. The program prioritizes the real-world application of knowledge and skills, pairing the world-class academic expertise of faculty thought leaders with private-sector leaders in marketing research, such as senior-level executives at the country's leading marketing research firms, corporations and strategic leadership organizations.
The program supports students in accelerating their careers in marketing research by providing a convenient 100% online, 20-month option. The fully online program consists of the same courses as the full-time, on-campus program and is taught by the same leading professors through world-class design, online learning formats and virtual classroom instruction.
Ranked #1 specifically in marketing research across all MBA and specialized master's programs in North America (Eduniversal Best Masters in Marketing, 2019)
Students of the Master of Science in Marketing Research program will achieve the following:
- Gain skills in traditional marketing research techniques, such as experimental design, sampling, data collection and analysis
- Become versed in leading-edge marketing technologies, methodologies and software
- Study with experienced marketing faculty
- Interact with executive leaders in marketing research
- Participate in real-world marketing research, consulting and publication projects
- Earn the top Master of Science in Marketing Research degree in North America
- Join an analytical and technology-rich marketing research industry
With a focus on the real-world application of knowledge and skills, the Master of Science in Marketing Research degree provides students with invaluable preparation for excellent employment opportunities and a fulfilling career in marketing research in such settings as corporations, strategic consulting organizations, advertising agencies and marketing research firms. Corporate researcher job titles include the following positions and possible salaries:
- Senior VP or Vice President: $286,561*
- Market Research Director/Senior Director: $174,631*
- Director of Communications: $163,000*
- Director of Marketing: $161,556*
- Market Research Manager: $122,560*
- Consumer Insights Manager: $117,663*
- Brand or Product Manager: $107,000*
- Marketing Manager: $105,900*
- Business Development: $99,000*
- Senior Research Analyst: $95,830*
- Project Manager: $85,000*
- Business Market Analyst: $78,500*
- Research Analyst: $69,875*
*Average annual salary, according to a 2018 study conducted by Quirks Enterprises, Inc.
Admissions and Requirements
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
A bachelor's degree
Previous work experience
Current résumé highlighting relevant education, work and other experiences
Taken the GRE or GMAT
Taken the TOEFL
(Only required if English is not your native language)
A written personal statement
Academic statement of purpose (maximum of two pages, double-spaced) describing your career goals and objectives and explaining why you believe our master’s program in marketing research will help you achieve those goals and objectives
2 letters of recommendation
One or two letters of recommendation from professional or academic references (optional, but can strengthen your application)
Official transcripts from all previous schools
To apply to this program:
Complete an online application.
If you are an international applicant, submit your English language proficiency test scores.
If you are a working professional with significant and/or relevant experience, you may be eligible to waive the GMAT/GRE requirement. If you received a 3.5 or higher cumulative GPA for your bachelor’s degree at MSU (or comparable university), the test requirement is automatically waived, and you may apply without a test score. To inquire about your waiver eligibility, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your résumé and transcripts.
Rolling applications. Students can start the program in any semester. We recommend applications are submitted at least one month prior to the start of the semester to allow time for processing.
THE MSU DIFFERENCE
As one of the top research universities in the world, Michigan State University has advanced the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years.
MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community.