The Graduate Certificate in Media Analytics introduces basic concepts, processes and uses of media analytics. It explores the rise and characteristics of big data, data acquisition about audiences, media consumption, and response to advertising. The course work covers statistical concepts related to media analytics, including an understanding of probability based sampling, censuses, and random assignment.
It would further explore the process of translating data into advertising and public relations messages, and using data to compellingly and clearly report the results of advertising and public relations activities. Graduates of the certification will be prepared to:
- Understand what media analytics involve and how they are useful to professionals in journalism, advertising and public relations
- Be able to review, critique and understand what scholars and practitioners have said or written about media analytics
- Identify the challenges brought by each unique social media platform
- Recognize the ways professional communicators are able to inform and engage the public via social media
- Learn how to control and strategically plan your social media presence
- Provide students with strategies and tactics for turning data into plain language to inform advertising, public relations and business decisions.
- Explore the process of translating data into advertising and public relations messages, and using data to compellingly and clearly report the results of advertising and public relations activities.
Admissions and Requirements
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
A bachelor's degree
Previous work experience
Taken the TOEFL
(Only required if English is not your native language)
A written personal statement
Academic Statement [one-page narrative of your academic journey] Personal Statement [one-page narrative or your personal journey. i.e. family, growing up, hobbies, etc.]
3 letters of recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required. (Note: An email will be sent out to your recommenders providing them the information on where to go to submit their letters electronically. So please be sure to list accurate information.
Official transcripts from all previous schools
To apply to this program:
Complete the a university graduate application (program code: 6358)
We recruit cohorts of around 20 for fall, spring and summer semesters.
June 1, 2021
November 1, 2020
April 1, 2021
THE MSU DIFFERENCE
As one of the top research universities in the world, Michigan State University has advanced the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years.
MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community.